Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Overcoming Challenges




<Read in a 50's mystery story narrative voice> 

It was calm, windy night. The last night in Frankfurt, Germany. September 5th, 2010. The stars were out, shining oh so bright. Man, what a life! First year students traveling half way around the world, experiencing new cultures and a new way of life from another perspective.
 We hear cries from the street below, calling out… In English? Snooks rushes to our city side window, leaning out and yelling, “Yah Americans!” The room bursts into a gleeful laughter, as faces turn red and tears fall down. “Let us come up!” We hear from the streets below. As eyes dart from person to person, we stare at Snooks in suspense. “Our boyfriends are up here, sorry!” A sigh of relief overtakes us all at her comment. “We’ll be right up!” Panic rushes into our room. I get everyone organized and lead the girls into the bathroom, having them lock it from the inside. Slam! Slam! Slam! We hear on the doors as I stand up to keep everyone calm. 
       “Ronnie,” Tap, tap, tap… “Let me in,” I walk over to the door and open it. Low and behold… Two late 20-year-old men stand a little down the hallway, staring me down. “Hey! They’re in here!” and rush towards our room. I can feel the panicking people behind me in need of a leader. I step up… “You need to go downstairs,” they reply to me in words that I should not repeat here. They back up a step as I move a little bit closer to them to prove that I am not messing around. My adrenaline jumps, as my muscles tense, heart pounds, and veins shoot out of my skin. “You need to leave,” I tell them, never diverting my eyes from theirs. More backtalk comes from them; I can sense some fear in their voices as they start to shout swears down the hall, now pushed up against the elevator. After sometime of back and forth’s, my group mates pull me back into the room and tell me that it wasn’t worth it. I take a couple minutes to myself to cool down and check on the girls inside - safe. I smile at them, letting them know everything is all right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment