Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Interview with GSU

Me: What has been your biggest eye opening experience here in France?

J-Wow: My biggest eye opening experience here in France has been attending French University. Although there are some similarities between the French and American school systems, there are vast differences as well. For example, today my professor gave back our mid term grades. Instead of giving each individual their grade with a respect to their privacy, she called out each person's grade in front of the entire class. I'm not sure if this is a French custom. Discipline in a French class is far stricter as well, for example we are not allowed to come and go as we please or use the restroom during class.

Me: Has French schooling changed your views on schooling back home?

J-Wow: French schooling has definitely impacted my views on the traditional American school system. Although the discipline is far stricter within the classroom in the French system, I do prefer the social aspect of the French schooling much more. Although Universities in America are known for their social organizations such as fraternities and sororities (of which I am a member of), I think the French university makes more of an effort to reach out socially to all demographics of the student population including the Erasmus students. From my point of view, there does not seem to be such a division between students in regard to race and ethnicity especially in comparison to my university in Inner-city Atlanta.

Me: And lastly, how have you adapted to these French schools and how have the students adapted to you?

J-Wow: Overall, I don't think it took too much trouble to adapt to the French school system. I knew some students who had actually studied at my home University before I came to Strasbourg so I had an idea of what I was getting myself into. The French school system requires a lot more self-discipline than the American school system. I don't have a lot of coursework like I am used to having in America, but I will have a large project or test at the end of the semester. So even though it may not seem like I have schoolwork, I really have to be preparing ahead of time for final exams or projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment